Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ask a good question, get a good answer

Remove Formatting from selection
It is amazing what you might learn if you ask. A lifetime (at least so far) of learning and I keep forgetting that to learn the truth one must only ask. And in my case, brace yourself with a cringe and a grimace as you wait for the answer. 
I have been, unbeknownst to me, grasping and guessing at what my children should be learning in our schooling process. I am a trained elementary teacher with specialties in reading and language studies.  I thought I was utilizing and designing curriculum individual to each child. Or at least a combination of what works for them with what works for me.  All wishful thinking. 
A girlfriend of mine who also homeschools told me she was reading a book that has challenged her approach to teaching her children. This particular book puts a premium on the love of learning. And so she related to me that she had interviewed each of her children about what they want to learn. I decided to copycat. I may not be doing anything original, but I don't mind giving credit to others.
So I interviewed each of my children about what they want to learn. Was I ever enlightened? 
Here is the Warrior's list:
I want to learn about:
dinosaurs
mysterious creatures like a jackalope and dragons
heroes of the Bible
Super Heroes
astronauts
how to use a computer
typing skills
Can I just join a computer club?
sewing
blacksmithing
woodworking
making a fire with just sticks
how to live in the outdoors
space
cooking
frogs
I want to pet ducks.
I want to conquer mountains.
I want to learn about trains.
plumbing
I want to do mechanics.
I want to learn how to hook up the Blu-ray player to surprise Daddy.
I want to be good at music like on the electric guitar.
dragons (We just saw How to Train Your Dragon last night.)
Expand my stomach so I can eat a lot, which is basically body parts.
I want to know how to grow stuff.
I want to be like Big Gramps (the Warrior's great-grandfather who has always gardened.)
I would like to work in a plant like Papa.
I want to learn to drive the skidsteer and the big 4-wheeler.
I'd like to drive the tractor.
I want to learn about the army
and how to be a good citizen.
Well, looks like I've got a thing or two to learn about this boy of mine. He is only eight years old and so many plans.  To go from petting ducks to conquering mountains. The simpleness of just being a little boy to the great and honorable ambitions of a man. 
Needless to say, I feel a bit ill-equipped to teach him many of these things. Fortunately, God already knows who he is to become and how it will happen.  And the Professor and I were hand-picked to help guide him on that journey. Wow! With all that in mind, who am I to question? 

1 comment:

  1. That's so sweet! What a funny and wide ranging list of hoped-for activities!

    ReplyDelete